1. ”Blue Coast Capital”- Cornell University
2. ”Persistent Alpha”- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3. ”ASGL Real Estate Ventures”- Columbia University
Floor 10: ”Cambridge Street Capital”- Texas Christian University
Floor 11: ”Tremont Advisory”- Babson
Floor 12- “The Distress Relievers”- Northwestern University
Thank you to all sponsors, teams, judges and volunteers for a great competition. All teams had very thoughtful presentations. We sincerely hope you enjoyed the event and will join us again next year.
To view or download a Press Release, please click here
Winning Team Final Presentation
To view or download the winning presentation from Blue Coast Capital, please see the following links:
To download the InfoBook containing sponsorship information, judges bios, and student resumes, please click here
The Case- Filene’s Site
To download a copy of The Case, please click here
To view event photographs, please click here
The Case is an annual real estate case competition which provides the real estate graduate student community an opportunity to compete, showcase their knowledge, and learn from each other through the analysis of a complex real world development site. Unlike other competitions, The Case focuses on real estate acquisition and development financial underwriting at the asset level. The competition mimics the professional circumstances and assignments that students interested in real estate finance, acquisitions and development are likely to encounter after graduation.
Teams of no more than four graduate students will be given a competition packet that includes important information about a specific development site in the United States. Teams will have five days prior to the competition to submit a brief concept narrative, a power point presentation, a full proforma and a final ‘bid price.’ Teams will then travel to Cambridge to present before panels of industry leaders and compete for cash prizes.
Participating teams are invited to attend the annual MIT AACRE Real Estate Symposium which will be held on the morning following the competition. This Symposium is held annually and attracts leaders in politics, industry and academics.
The competition is hosted and organized by the Alumni Association of the MIT Center for Real Estate (AACRE) and the MIT Center for Real Estate (CRE).
Who Is Qualified to Register?
Teams of up to 4 graduate students enrolled either part or full time in an accredited graduate program related to real estate including but not limited to Masters of Real Estate Development, Masters of Business Administration, Masters of Finance, Masters of Architecture, Masters of Planning or other related fields.
Please note that only two teams per university are allowed to compete in the competition. Registration will be granted on a first come, first serve basis. Teams from the same school may not work together in any way.
For more information Email:
Judges – Company Representation
- Phil Lisciandra, Managing Director, Ackman-Ziff
- Bill McLaughlin, Executive VP of Development and Construction, Avalon Bay
- Israel Lopez, Senior VP of Commercial RE Banking, Bank of America
- Tom Grape, Founder, Chairman & CEO, Benchmark Senior Living
- Bryan Koop, Senior VP & Regional Manager, Boston Properties
- Brian Kavoogian, President & Founder, Charles River Realty
- Fred Wittmann, Senior Managing Director, Holliday Fenoglio Fowler L.P.
- Riaz Cassum, Senior Managing Director, Holliday Fenoglio Fowler L.P.
- Thomas O’Brien, Managing Director, HYM Investments
- David Lynn, Managing Director, Head of Investment Strategy and Research, ING Clarion
- Mark Weld, Managing Director, Separate Accounts Portfolio Manger, ING Clarion
- Paul Marcus, Founder & CEO, Marcus Partners
- Bruce Kirsch, Founder & Principal, Real Estate Financial Modeling
- Tim Fraser, Managing Director, Spaudling and Slye Investments/Jones Lang LaSalle
- Heather Hohenthal, Partner & Regional Manager, TA Associates Realty
- Mark Baranski, Managing Principal, WaveCrest Capital Partners
- Stephen St. Thomas, Senior Managing Director, Wells Fargo Real Estate Capital Investments
The Case 2011 Registration Packet
******ALL COMPETITOR OPENINGS HAVE BEEN FILLED. REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
The competition will be held in Boston Properties newly completed Atlantic Wharf Development at 290 Congress Street in downtown Boston, MA. For more information about the venue, click HERE
290 Congress Street
Boston, MA 02110
The 2010 Case Competition
To learn more about the 2010 case competition and download last year’s winning submission Click HERE
Please Note that there will be changes in the format and rules from last year so the 2010 submissions should be used solely for reference. 2011 will have important changes to the deliverables, format and rules so make sure to review the registration packet carefully.